Wednesday, 13 January 2010
Pre-Election Campaign Report, 30 April 2009
On 8th April, 2009 Action Aid India organized an Election Campaign to aware the community about their voting rights at Garhwal Bhawan, Karol Bagh, New Delhi. In continuation of this it was also discussed that a follow up meeting with the community people will be held in each District, therefore keeping this in view a open meeting in the community was organized with the help of organizations working in Seema Puri and with the help of community people, Seema Puri market association with this on 30th April, 2009 PARDARSHITA organized an Election Campaign in East Delhi at D- Block Park, New Seemapuri with other alliance.
In this election campaign representatives of many organizations represented their organization. The alliance organizations/ associations are as below:
1. New Seemapuri Mahila Sangathan
2. Mobile Crèches
3. Prathamik School Bachao Andolan
4. All India Kabaadi Mazdoor Maha Sangh
5. Akhil Bhartiya Jan Chetna Manch
In this campaign around 300 women came out to raise their issues. Their issues were related to sanitation, ration, implementation of different welfare schemes, children’s quality education, up gradation and proper functioning of dispensaries, day care centre & crèches for children of working women, water problem, power cut etc.
In this campaign many social activist deliver their message to promote the people about voting right. Their messages are as below:
• Lakhi Das: She appeal to the people that to cast their vote on 7th April, 2009 because it will elect the right person who will fulfill our demand and we can approach him in easy way after the election also.
• Nasreen: She told the people about the importance of voting and how to choose their representative, because their valuable vote could give them a responsible representative.
• Jawar Singh: He appreciated the demand list of community women and encouraged them to keep a vigil regarding the development works which are being done by their elective representatives in their areas
• Kallu Das: He is from Maharastra and said that the problems of people are very similar in all over India. So we should fight to get our rights. Our voting right plays the major role to get our other rights.
Not only the activist but the women from the community came out and brought forward their demands with respect to their community they belong to.
The MLA & Councellor of the area were also invited so that people could represent their demand, but both of them failed to attend the campaign. The women have also framed a demand letter to present to their MLA & councellor.
By this campaign the people were aware about their voting right and people were mobilized to raise demand about the work which ever they want to pursue in their community and keep a vigil about the work which have been accomplished in their blocks.